History, Mission and Values
History of Westminster Schools
In 1971 a group of parents stepped out in faith to start a Christian school with high academic standards. Thanks to the prayers, hard work and generous hearts of those founders, Westminster Schools of Augusta was founded in 1972 as a ministry of First Presbyterian Church. The school continues to be a ministry of the church, though the school and church are separate entities on different campuses. More than 40 years later, Westminster stands as a testimony to God’s faithfulness, the vision of First Presbyterian Church of Augusta and the foresight of those founding families.
With a current enrollment of 608 students in Pre-K through grade 12, our school has come a long way from the beginning with 178 students in rented facilities. In 1974, Westminster purchased 25 acres on Wheeler Road in West Augusta and the following year buildings opened for classes. In 1999, five additional acres were acquired and Pamplin Hall, the current Lower School building, was added to Westminster’s campus footprint. Nearly four more acres were added in 2012. The timeline below depicts some other milestones in Westminster’s history.
As we look toward the next 40 years at Westminster, the headmaster and board of trustees have provided direction for our future through the strategic plan that was adopted in 2009 and a campus master plan, introduced in 2011.
Westminster Schools of Augusta is dually accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools and the Southern Association of Independent Schools. Professional memberships include the National Association of Independent Schools, Education Records Bureau, Georgia Independent School Association, National Association for College Admission Counseling and The College Board. Westminster is also a charter member of the Council for Educational Standards and Accountability.
Throughout 2012, Westminster celebrated its 40th Anniversary. A timeline of the first 40 years was featured in the spring edition of Windows magazine and a commemorative video was produced.
40th Anniversary Timeline
40th Anniversary Video
Westminster seeks to glorify God by providing an excellent education that equips students to live extraordinary lives for Jesus Christ.
We endeavor to place Jesus Christ at the center of everything we do.
- We strive to have love and grace permeate and influence all relationships.
- We seek to integrate Christian faith and practice into every Westminster experience.
- We prepare students to understand and lead lives from a biblical perspective.
- We desire that students know and enjoy Jesus Christ as their personal Lord and Savior and grow in relationship with Him.
Made in God’s Image
We believe that every person is created in God’s image.
- We seek to know, love, and serve all students as individuals, recognizing and developing their unique gifts and abilities, that they may accomplish God’s purpose for their lives.
- We acknowledge, appreciate and adjust to the various ways that students learn.
We develop students of integrity and honor who embrace and emulate Christ-like character.
- We develop students with the knowledge, courage and leadership to engage the challenges of today’s world.
- We develop students who find joy in serving others before self.
We strive towards excellence in all things, to the glory of God.
- We commit to prepare students for success in college and life.
- We strive to develop well-rounded students.
- We believe that excellence involves doing one’s very best and includes pursuing and attaining high standards.
Education for Influence
We positively influence our community and the world around us.
- We challenge and encourage students to take action with their Christian faith.
- We steward our resources to serve Westminster, the greater Augusta community and the world.
- We seek to expand access to the education we offer by providing need-based financial aid.