Mission, Values and History
Westminster seeks to glorify God by providing an excellent education that equips students to live extraordinary lives for Jesus Christ.
A graduate from Westminster is equipped for excellence. We envision what the road ahead will hold for each student via the points outlined in our Portrait of a Graduate.
We endeavor to place Jesus Christ at the center of everything we do. Therefore:
- We strive to have love and grace permeate and influence all relationships.
- We seek to integrate Christian thought, faith and practice into every Westminster experience.
- We prepare students to understand and lead lives from a biblical perspective.
- We desire that students know and enjoy Jesus Christ as their personal Lord and Savior and grow in relationship with Him.
Made in God’s Image
We believe that every person is created in God’s image. Therefore:
- We seek to know, love and serve all students as individuals, recognizing and developing their unique gifts and abilities, that they may accomplish God’s purpose for their lives.
- We acknowledge, appreciate and adjust to the various ways that students learn.
- We develop well-rounded students in academics, arts and athletics.
- We strive to be a school community that reflects the racial and ethnic diversity in the body of Christ.
We develop students of integrity and honor who embrace and emulate Christ-like character. Therefore:
- We prepare students to have knowledge, skills, courage and leadership to engage the challenges of today’s world.
- We develop students who find joy in serving others before self.
- We strive to be a school community known for love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control.
We strive toward excellence in academics, arts, athletics and all areas of school life for God’s glory. Therefore:
- We set high academic standards and expectations for our students and challenge them to do their very best.
- We prepare students for extraordinary success in college and life.
Education for Influence
We positively influence our school, local community and the world. Therefore:
- We challenge students to take action with their Christian faith.
- We steward our school’s resources to serve others.
History of Westminster Schools
In 1971 a group of parents stepped out in faith to start a Christian school with high academic standards. Thanks to the prayers, hard work and generous hearts of those founders, Westminster Schools of Augusta was founded in 1972 as a ministry of First Presbyterian Church. The school continues to be a ministry of the church, though the school and church are separate entities on different campuses. More than 40 years later, Westminster stands as a testimony to God’s faithfulness, the vision of First Presbyterian Church of Augusta and the foresight of those founding families.
With a current enrollment of 608 students in Pre-K through grade 12, our school has come a long way from the beginning with 178 students in rented facilities. In 1974, Westminster purchased 25 acres on Wheeler Road in West Augusta and the following year buildings opened for classes. In 1999, five additional acres were acquired and Pamplin Hall, the current Lower School building, was added to Westminster’s campus footprint. Nearly four more acres were added in 2012.
As we look toward the next 40 years at Westminster, the headmaster and board of trustees have provided direction for our future through the strategic plan that was adopted in 2009 and a campus master plan, introduced in 2011.
Westminster Schools of Augusta is dually accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools and the Southern Association of Independent Schools. Professional memberships include the National Association of Independent Schools, Education Records Bureau, Georgia Independent School Association, National Association for College Admission Counseling and The College Board. Westminster is also a charter member of the Council for Educational Standards and Accountability.