Our Mission and Core Values
Westminster seeks to glorify God by providing an excellent education that equips students to live extraordinary lives for Jesus Christ.
We endeavor to place Jesus Christ at the center of everything we do. Therefore:
- We strive to have love and grace permeate and influence all relationships.
- We seek to integrate Christian thought, faith and practice into every Westminster experience.
- We prepare students to understand and lead lives from a biblical perspective.
- We desire that students know and enjoy Jesus Christ as their personal Lord and Savior and grow in relationship with Him.
Made in God’s Image
We believe that every person is created in God’s image. Therefore:
- We seek to know, love and serve all students as individuals, recognizing and developing their unique gifts and abilities, that they may accomplish God’s purpose for their lives.
- We acknowledge, appreciate and adjust to the various ways that students learn.
- We develop well-rounded students in academics, arts and athletics.
- We strive to be a school community that reflects the racial and ethnic diversity in the body of Christ.
We develop students of integrity and honor who embrace and emulate Christ-like character. Therefore:
- We prepare students to have knowledge, skills, courage and leadership to engage the challenges of today’s world.
- We develop students who find joy in serving others before self.
- We strive to be a school community known for love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control.
- We instill in our students love and respect for our country, which provides us religious freedom to live out our faith.
We strive toward excellence in academics, arts, athletics and all areas of school life for God’s glory. Therefore:
- We set high academic standards and expectations for our students and challenge them to do their very best.
- We prepare students for extraordinary success in college and life.
Education for Influence
We positively influence our school, local community and the world. Therefore:
- We challenge students to take action with their Christian faith.
- We steward our school’s resources to serve others.
In 1971 a group of parents stepped out in faith to start a Christian school with high academic standards. Thanks to the prayers, hard work and generous hearts of those founders, Westminster Schools of Augusta was founded in 1972 as a ministry of First Presbyterian Church. The school continues to be a ministry of the church, though the school and church are separate entities on different campuses. Almost 50 years later, Westminster stands as a testimony to God's faithfulness, the vision of First Presbyterian Church of Augusta and the foresight of those founding families.
With a current enrollment of around 500 students in Pre-K through grade 12, our school has come a long way from the beginning with 178 students in rented facilities. In 1974, Westminster purchased 25 acres on Wheeler Road in West Augusta and the following year buildings opened for classes. In 1999, five additional acres were acquired and Pamplin Hall, the current Lower School building, was added to Westminster's campus footprint. Nearly four more acres were added in 2012. Knox Hall, a multi-purpose building, was added to the campus in 2017.
As we look toward many more years of success here at Westminster, the Head of School and Board of Trustees have provided direction for our future through a strategic plan and a campus master plan.
Westminster Schools of Augusta is dually accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools and the Southern Association of Independent Schools. Professional memberships include the National Association of Independent Schools, Education Records Bureau, Georgia Independent School Association, National Association for College Admission Counseling and The College Board. Westminster is also a charter member of the Council for Educational Standards and Accountability
Portrait of a Graduate
Westminster graduates understand the times and know what they should do.
They seek Jesus Christ and follow His lead. With Christian minds they critically think about the world in which they live and work. They serve and influence their community and the world.
Westminster graduates move from the classroom to the athletic field and fine arts center with ease.
They enjoy life, are not afraid to work hard and others seek their company. They listen carefully and communicate effectively. They appreciate the beauty and the complexity of God's creation.
Westminster graduates work well with others but are unafraid to chart their own course.
They value the insights and gifts of others and contribute to the strength of a team. Their relationships are marked by grace and mercy. They are willing to take risks because they are confident in God's calling and purposes.
Westminster graduates do the right thing even when no one is looking and even at personal cost.
They live with integrity, act responsibly and respect others and God's gift of creation. In light of eternity, they pursue justice with wisdom and humility.
Westminster graduates, knowing they have not yet arrived, always seek improvement and strive to finish well.
They are inspired lifelong learners who find solutions by asking good questions. They diligently hone their skills and effectively manage time. In all things, they pursue excellence for God's glory.
"Westminster not only equipped me with the study skills and strong work ethic needed to be successful in college, but has also served as an extension of my family. Westminster has given me a life-long support network filled with individuals who clearly demonstrate their love for me and for Jesus!"
Brielle Smith, '15, Johns Hopkins University, Neuroscience 2019