Fine Arts are an integral part of Westminster life. Our Lower School students enjoy a wide array of artistic experiences, beginning as early as kindergarten. The Middle and Upper School offerings in debate and forensics, music, theatre and visual art enable older students to express creativity through curriculum, clubs and organizations.
Fine Arts Mission Statement
The Fine Arts Department provides students with the freedom to express their God-given creativity while pursuing excellence through comprehensive instruction and application.
“…God wants all of the arts to flourish in all the fullness of their artistic potential, so that we may discover the inherent possibilities of creation and thereby come to a deeper knowledge of our Creator.” Philip Ryken, “Art for God’s Sake”
“The arts are the most powerful of all communication tools for reaching the majority of people on the earth.” Andrew Sievright
Students in the Lower School receive outstanding instruction in visual art and music. The historical time periods are studied on a five-year rotation (Renaissance, Baroque, Classical, Romantic and Contemporary periods) and are incorporated school-wide through the arts. Music productions and artwork created will reflect these qualities, composers and artists.
- Lower School students have many opportunities to participate in drama and music performances.
- Music classes follow the Kodaly based method with Orff additions. Twice per week, grades PK3 through fifth participate in music class.
- Art and Music have a coordinated curricula on a five year cycle, running from the medieval era through the twentieth century.
Westminster’s music program is devoted to developing student talent for the benefit of others and the glory of God. We actively participate in the Georgia Music Educators Association (GMEA) which offers exceptional opportunities for students beyond the classroom. Students who participate in GMEA events receive awards on transcripts and at the Honors Day Assembly in the spring.
If you love the stage, Westminster has a place for you!
The Westminster Theatre department offers many ways for students to express their creativity which includes two to three main shows and several class productions per year. We are also active members of the International Thespian Society, an honors program for theatre. We also have more acting opportunities beyond the stage in forensics, one of several clubs in the Upper School.
Westminster offers Middle and Upper School students a variety of ways to express themselves in the Visual Arts. From drawing, photography, sculpting, ceramics, AP Art and painting – the talent of our young artists shines!
The Friends of Fine Arts (FOFA) of Westminster Schools of Augusta functions to glorify Christ in all that we do by:
- Promoting and supporting fine arts programs (Drama, Debate and Forensics, Music, and Visual Art) at Westminster, to impact our students and our community through Fine Arts for God’s kingdom.
- Facilitating communications regarding fine arts.
- Fostering awareness of the arts among the entire Westminster community including current students, alumni, parents, faculty and staff.
- Providing financial support for the fine arts program, particularly but not limited to the area of capital improvements.
Message from FOFA